OT - Quagga/CARP

Dima Dorfman dd at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 31 07:11:19 UTC 2006

Michael DeMan <michael at staff.openaccess.org> wrote:
> So, if you already have a route to 10.100.100.0/24 via OSPF to
> another machine, then try to...
>
> ip address 10.100.100.55/24
>
> You get an error.

Is that the only problem? Someone was talking about funding
development to fix something--surely there must be something more
severe than the inability to use the "ip address" interface command? I
thought the problem was about encoutering broken ingress paths if one
of the routers loses connectivity to the destination network.

Does the combination of CARP and quagga OSPF work once it's configured
using system tools?

> It is possible to force the interface configuration via 'ifconfig' on
> the UNIX command line, but for this equipment I want all interface
> configuration and routing driven out of Quagga.

It would be cool if that was possible, but it's not really practical.
My systems tend to have a lot of very custom configuration that quagga
will never be able to express. If I had a cookie-cutter configuration,
I'd probably be using a C or J box.

While I've found bgpd and ospfd to be very stable, the zebra part that
interacts with the kernel has had various problems over time--routes
not being installed correctly, or going away, or having incorrect
flags. I wouldn't trust it to configure the entire network subsystem.

Dima.