Intel 3945ABG with NDIS

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Sat Mar 25 17:03:26 UTC 2006

Has anyone been successful with one of these cards and the ndisulator? I
can get the wrapper to attach the device, but it won't accept an SSID
being assigned via ifconfig (or anything else for that matter), and
wpa_supplicant also fails. I've tried it with both UP and SMP kernels, to
no avail. My main success has been in panicking my kernel!

According to the ndiswrapper sourceforge project, some people have made
this work with Linux... However they mention needing to patch your
kernel 16k stacks, which I do not know how well this applies to FreeBSD.
(http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List#I)

The relevant kernel messages from loading the module are:

no match for NdisIMCopySendPerPacketInfo
no match for strncat
no match for KeQueryTickCount
ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection> mem 0xffaff000-0xffafffff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci5
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ntoskrnl dummy called...
ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:13:02:0a:cf:eb
Initializing interface 'ndis0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'ndis'
ctrl_interface 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
ctrl_interface_group=0 (from group name 'wheel')
Priority group 0
    id=0 ssid='linksys'
Initializing interface (2) 'ndis0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
NDIS: Packet.dll version: FreeBSD WinPcap compatibility shim v1.0
NDIS: Failed to get adapter list (PacketGetAdapterNames)
Failed to initialize driver interface
Failed to add interface ndis0
Cancelling scan request
ntoskrnl dummy called...