Loopback problem

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Mar 23 02:43:09 UTC 2006

--On March 22, 2006 7:43:31 PM -0600 Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu>
wrote:

> I have two machines (that I know of) that have the same problem.  The
> loopback interface has no ipv4 address, and it doesn't start up on boot.
> If I bring the interface up (ifconfig lo0 up),. it has no ipv4 address.
> If I bring it up this way - ifconfig lo0 inet 127.0.0.1, then I have an
> ipv4 address and everything works fine.
>
> On box is 5.4 SECURITY.  The other is 6.0 SECURITY.  Both boxes have
> ifconfig="lo0 inet 127.0.0.1" in the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file.  Both
> boxes boot fine and work fine, except for this one problem, which has
> manifested odd symptoms from time to time but never merited investigation
> (until now.)
>
> Since I did the installs on both boxes, I've obviously missed something
> during the install (or chosen the wrong option).  Does anyone have a clue
> what it might be?  Or how I might fix this problem so the boxes will
> bring up lo0 at boot?

I just figured out the problem with one box.  (The other is down right now,
so I can't get to it.)  For some reason the following was in /etc/rc.conf
(I don't know if that was done by setup or some other program):

network_interfaces="l0 xl0 xl1"

I changed that to:
network_interfaces="lo0 xl0 xl1"

and now the box activates lo0 on boot, including the ipv4 address.

I'll have to check the other box tomorrow morning.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member