vr0: rx packet lost

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Mon Mar 6 20:06:17 UTC 2006

Hello.
I've just installed 6.0/AMD64 on an Asus A8V, which features a vr interface.

I'm getting tons of "vr0: rx packet lost" kernel messages as soon as I
start transfering some files on my LAN. Needless to say, network
performance is VERY poor (ranging from 100KB/s to 1MB/s *).

I've looked in the archives and in bug reports and I've seen someone has
reported this too, but found no solutions.
Someone says that the same board connected to a different switch behaves
correctly.
I can only add that an identical system running 5.4/i386 does not show
this problem.

So, getting to the questions:
_ is this a known problem?
_ was it introduced in 6.0? (And possibly would it be fixed in 6.1?)
_ is it an AMD64 only issue? If so, would I be better of starting from
scratch with i386?
_ any insight on which switches should work, which shouldn't and why?
_ any other info is welcome.

*) Tests indicate ~1MB/s with a generic kernel and 100-150kB/s with my
custom one, which introduces ipfw). I haven't tested thoroughly,
however, so don't take this figures seriously.

  bye & Thanks
	av.