configuring if_bridge with stp at boot in /etc/rc.conf

Nik Lam freebsdnik at j2d.lam.net.au
Sun Mar 5 16:53:38 PST 2006

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 09:29:24AM +1100, Nik Lam wrote:
>
>> Andrew Thompson wrote:

>>> Can you post the full output from ifconfig and tell us what version of
>>> the OS you are running.
>>>

>> Here's what I see about a minute after booting up.  If I run it earlier
>> I get to see the em1 member of bridge0 go through the listening and
>> learning modes, but em2 remains disabled throughout.
>>

> It may be possible that the link-up notification is not happening for
> em2 or we are somehow missing the first one.
>
> Can you try this patch and see if stp on em2 kicks into life. Can you
> also test unplugging/plugging the network cable for em2 and see if you
> get link change messages in your dmesg.
>

> Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Firstly, I tried unplugging/plugging em2 and yes - that causes link
state changes to be logged as well as getting STP working correctly -
the em2 member goes into listening and then learning and then forwarding.

I'll apply your patch now.  I'm assuming there is no shortcut to
rebuilding the kernel in which case it will probably be quite late
before I get back with results.

Nik