BIND incompatibility

Eugene Grosbein eugen at www.svzserv.kemerovo.su
Sun Mar 5 06:29:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 10:13:06PM +0300, Yar Tikhiy wrote:

> Just want to remind about a problem I've finally run into myself.
> There has been a lot of gossip on it, but next to no tech details.
> Namely, BIND8 will go nuts and spit out tons of error messages per
> second if its forwarder happens to be BIND9 and "forwarders only"
> is not in effect.  The error message reads:
>
> 	sysquery: no addrs found for root NS
>
> I saw that after two my DNS servers had been upgraded today along
> their respective branches, 4-STABLE and 6-STABLE, which had involved
> no changes to named.conf or named.root.
>
> Has anybody got links to tech details why the trouble happens?
> Sorry, today I had little time for debugging and tcpdumping, just
> had to make sure it all worked by the end of the day :-)

This happens to me several times per year.
The following script works around the probem when it comes.
/etc/syslog.conf feeds it with named's logs:

#!/bin/sh
fgrep 'sysquery: no addrs found for root NS' | while read line
do
  killall -9 named
  sleep 1
  /usr/sbin/named -u bind -g bind
  echo $line | mail -s "named restarted" root
  sleep 29
  exit 0
done