Multiple routes to the same destination

Christopher Martin outsidefactor at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 23 14:53:26 UTC 2006

That's good news. Maybe I should take another look at OpenBSD, especially
since the SMP support's a few years old now and pretty stable.

> Multipath setups are harder to debug as packets may flow differently.
> Often it is easier to use a layer 2 trunk to aggregate links. It depends
> on your network layout, etc.

One place I am implementing OSPF in community wireless networks. We have a
few sections of network that are very stable and have diverse paths. We
currently have a lot of success with failover, but at times it seems a waste
to have idle paths when others running in the same direction. Not that I
wasn't expecting the difference in arrival time of packets not to effect
performance in that scenario, but not to the extent you suggest.

I guess we could stick with OpenWRT routers, but it would have been so nice
to move in more BSD!

> I hope that we can get more routing stuff done in the next few weeks but
> the way routing is implemented in BSD makes it harder then necessary.
> I bet andre@ will start to port features to FreeBSD as soon as the
> stabilised in OpenBSD.

I guess I will go and try it out on OpenBSD. If nothing else it's one more
install being tested and making a more compelling argument to merge it into
FreeBSD.

I look forward to seeing what is on its way.