Multiple routes to the same destination

Christopher Martin outsidefactor at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 23 12:19:05 UTC 2006

Actually, round robin is exactly what I want. And I am not saying I don't
use a routing protocol, in fact I do, but I want packets to be able to use
two or more diverse paths of equivalent cost.

It would seem that you are assuming that I want to load balance two internet
connections which are NATed, in which case round robin might have issues
with lost TCP sessions and weird reactions from servers as the apparent
source address changes from packet to packet, but in a routed internal
network the source address will not be changed by the router, thus negating
that issue.

It did seem at some stage someone was going to include it in OpenBSD:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20040425183024&mode=expanded

To quote:
"...OSPF also supports multipath equal cost routing".

It's more of a case where we would like to use BSD as a router/packet
filtering firewall for sites with multiple WAN links between each site, of
equal size, and not have one site idle until the other fails over. Round
robin is better than what we have: nothing.