VPN with FAST_IPSEC and ipsec tools

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Fri Jun 16 03:44:02 UTC 2006

Hey all.
I have been trying to setup a VPN between 2 FreeBSD hosts, but I can't
get any IKE exchange activity via ipsec tools happening.

I used this script http://thebeastie.org/projects/vpnsetup/vpnsetup.pl
which I created for my self to help me remember all the knobs, its been
about a year since I last did a VPN and I am finding that with
FAST_IPSEC (haven't tested yet with other IPSec) and with FreeBSD
6.1release that I am not getting any IKE exchange activity including any
kind of attempts for the VPNs to connect to each other, it just appear
that ipsec-tools doesn't identify any interesting traffic that I set, I
am guessing its something to do with FAST_IPSEC but I am not sure.

I have setup the GRE tunneling and that is working fine doing pings and
tracerts when I disable ipsec and ipsec-tools, its just the encryption
side thats the problem.

Can any one help?

Thanks
Mike