bge(4) and gigabit

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Tue Jun 13 16:48:28 UTC 2006

I've got a Poweredge 1750 6-STABLE, and I'm having problems getting its onboard
Ethernet interfaces negotiated to gigabit speeds. It has dual Broadcom
BCM5704C copper interfaces, which are supported by the bge(4) driver.

I've tried this againt a managed gigabit switch: I plugged in both
interfaces, and start out at 10baseT. Increasing to 100 works fine, but
going to 1000baseT causes the link to drop. I've tried using ifconfig to
force media settings, and these also only work up to 100baseT. I've also
tried the cabling and switch with other gigabit gear, and these negotiate
fine.

I also had this machine running Linux at one point, and it negotiated to
gigabit then, so the interfaces themselves shouldn't be the problem.

Any ideas?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/