ndis driver for WG311 wireless card problem

Alexander Konovalenko kono at kth.se
Mon Jun 5 01:36:20 PDT 2006

Hello,

I know that chipset for NETGEAR WG311v3 PCI card is not supported natively in
FreeBSD, so I am trying to use NDIS driver generated from WinXP driver on
FreeBSD 6.1 (STABLE) i386 (old PIII 666Mhz box). After loading kernel module
ifconfig shows:

#ifconfig
ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether 00:14:6c:72:35:2a
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
        status: no carrier
        ssid "" channel 1
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 protmode CT

However, when try to scan for access point I get:

#ifconfig ndis0 scan
ifconfig: unable to get scan results

I am sure that my access point is functional because I am running FreeBSD 6.1
also on laptop where NETGEAR WG511 PCMCIA card works prefectly (with NDIS).
All network configuration is the same on both computers.

When I unload and then load kernel module machine hangs with no log messages
saved.

The ndis drivers generated from Win2k, Win98 give the same result.

At the begining I inserted WG311 into first PCI slot where it did not work at
all (probaly irq problem), then I put it in another PCI slot so at least
ifconfig showed me something.

Any ideas how to make it functional?

thanks!

/Alexander Konovalenko