[patch] RFC: allow divert from layer 2 ipfw (e.g. bridge)

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Jul 27 22:06:14 UTC 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 23:46, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Christian S.J. Peron wrote:
> > Max Laier wrote:

> >> Instead of putting more special processing to every L2-entry point in
> >> the system, I'd prefer if we could finally get round to L2 pfil
> >> hooks.  That would make it much easier to add such functionality in a
> >> common hook function and use it everywhere.
> >
> > I agree with Max here, I think it's time we look at getting together
> > pfil hooks for layer 2. I would be interested in doing the leg work
> > here if you guys are willing to review it.
>
> The divert code changes are sort-of irrelevant to this discussion.
> it adds an ISR to handle divert input from L2.

I was referring to the changes in bdg_forward() and ether_output_frame() which
could as well be placed inside a L2-hook inside ip_fw_pfil.c (where they
belong IMHO).  We went through great length to clean the ip_input/output path
off the IPFW/DIVERT entanglement.  I don't think we should create the
same "mess" in L2 now, just to clean it up later.

That said, I'm not opposed against L2 divert or anything.  I just wanted to
remind everybody about the plan of L2-pfil hooks that we talked about in the
past.  I would love to see this happen prior the divert changes.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org