Multiple NAT router

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Jul 24 19:24:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 04:09:29PM +0200, Marko Zec wrote:
> > There's a project called 'vimage' which adds a separate virtual forwarding
> > table per jail. This might work for you, although all the natd's "outside"
> > interfaces would need to sit on the same interface, and I don't know if it
> > can do that.
>
> Yes this should work with a virtualized stack - all the "outsied" interfaces
> in each jail / virtual stack could be simply bridged together using netgraph
> which is virtualization-agnostic, i.e. a global facility in the current
> implementation of "vimage".
>
> Of course a significant problem might be that the stack virtualization patches
> exist only for FreeBSD 4.x, but there's a very good chance that a formal
> project aimed at bringing vimage into sync with 6.x and -CURRENT could start
> shortly...

Also, what would really suit him is a netgraph IP interface node - i.e.
something which takes raw ethernet frames from the interface, performs IP
encapsulation/decapsulation and ARP - and an IP forwarding node with its own
forwarding table. Has anyone done any work in that area? It would be really
cool for VPN edge routing, for example.

Regards,

Brian.