forcing FTP-uploaded files to be of certain types only

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Jul 17 17:06:16 UTC 2006

Hello!

We run an FTP server for the customers to upload their data (usually -- giant
core-files and database-dumps).

Sometimes they forget compress them, however, wasting many gigabytes of our
server's space...

How hard would it be to make the stock FreeBSD FTP-server to examine the
first, say, 100Kb of the uploaded file and interrupt transfer if the file is
of a prohibited or is not of an allowed type?

Anything under 100Kb is fine, I guess, and 100Kb is more than enough to detect
compression or lack thereof...

Thanks for ideas!

	-mi