FreeBSD 4.11 + VLAN + IPX

Alexandre Biancalana ale at seudns.net
Tue Jul 4 15:43:13 UTC 2006

Hi List,

    I've a gateway running FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE doing ip filtering,
routing and ipx routing among 4 internal networks and 4 external networks.

  Everything was working perfectly,  with the following network
adapters: one 3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL, two Intel 82559 Pro/100
Ethernet and one quad D-Link DFE-550TX 10/100BaseTX. I had one network
attached to each network interface, the ef module loaded to support
multiple novell ethernet frames types, ipxgateway enable and ipxrouted
-s running. Due to need of more ip addresses on a new departament of the
company, I need to configure a new network on this gateway, then I
decided to put an existent network and the new one at a single network
interface putting each network on a single vlan.

   After change the configuration the stations on the vlan networks
can't reach the Novell server.

   The old configuration:

    fxp0: external network
    fxp1: external network
    xl0:   external network
    ste0:  internal network 1
    ste0f0:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_II
    ste0f1:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.3
    ste0f2:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2
    ste0f3:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2/SNAP
    ste1:  internal network 2
    ste1f0:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_II
    ste1f1:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.3
    ste1f2:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2
    ste1f3:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2/SNAP
    ste2:  internal netowrk 3
    ste2f0:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_II
    ste2f1:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.3
    ste2f2:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2
    ste2f3:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2/SNAP
    ste3:  internal network 4
    ste3f0:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_II
    ste3f1:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.3
    ste3f2:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2
    ste3f3:  internal  ipx network Ethernet_802.2/SNAP

 In the new configuration I added two vlans attached to ste3 then:

    vlan4: internal network 4 parent ste3
    vlan6: internal network 5 parent ste3

   The ste3f* interfaces continue configured as before.

   My doubt is when I created the vlans the system should be created
vlan4f* or the ipx should work in the same ste3f* interfaces...
   The only thing that is not working is ipx access from network 4 to
novell server at network 1.

 Any Ideas ??

 Best Regards,
Alexandre