Marvell YukonII Status Update?

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 08:28:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 02:54:01AM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
 > On 7/1/06, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:

 > > and
 > > driver:

 > > stupid
 > > Who

 > > > Will TCP Segmentation Offloading help if you already use a 9000 byte
 > > > mtu, and is it going to be supported, someday, with em(4)/bge(4)?...
 > > > I'm mostly clueless about TSO.
 > > >

 > >Since not all hardwares support JUMBO frame and the maximum MTU
 > >for the JUMBO frame varies among vendors/chipsets TSO would be
 > >better suited for interoperability.
 > >
 > >I'm really want to see TSO support in our drivers. See the
 > >following URL to see TSO effect in NetBSD wm(4) driver.
 > >http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111662994600001&r=1&w=2
 > >

 > I see... A poor mans jumbo frames, but only works with the sender,

You may have to get a NIC that supports JUMBO frames on receiver
too unless your switch/bridge system fragments the JUMBO frames
into standard MTU frames.

 > correct? If NetBSD supports it can't we more or less just copy and
 > paste the code to FreeBSD? I know it's never that simple but...

Yes, we may borrow the code from NetBSD implementation but I can't
sure we can just copy it. I guess we need careful reexamination
the TSO effect on our TCP stack.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon