Van Jacobson's network stack restructure

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 31 17:20:19 PST 2006

Last week, at the Linux.conf.au in Dunedin, Van Jacobson presented
some slides about work he has been doing rearchitecting the Linux
network stack.  He claims to have reduced the CPU usage by 80% and
doubled network throughput (he expects more, but it was limited by
memory bandwidth).  The approach looks like it would work on FreeBSD
as well.  I spoke to him and he confirmed.

He's currently trying to get the code released as open source, but in
the meantime his slides are up on
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/vj/.  Yes, this is my web
site.  The conference organizers are going to put it up on their web
site soon, but in the meantime he's asked me to put it were I can.

Comments?

Greg