re0: 2 link states coalesced.

Julien Gabel jpeg at thilelli.net
Mon Jan 30 22:28:46 PST 2006

>>>Is this NIC available outside of Clevo D41EV laptop? As PCI or PCMCIA
>>>card?

>> As far as i know, people who encounter this behaviour all use an
>> onboard ethernet adapter.  Emmanuel Duros with an MSI motherboard,
>> Hans Nieser using a Clevo D41EV and me with a D480V (also known as D47)
>> and based on a SiS M648FX 963 chipset.

> I also have this problem, with a Gigabyte (brand) motheboard.
> It's very annoying waiting for the "random" try which finally gets
> the link to come up (and once in a while seems to never come up).
> Windows2000 on the same machine has no problem.

I didn't seen this behaviour under GNU/Linux, NetBSD (1.6.2 to 2.0.2)
and Windows Server 2003 Ent-Ed.  On the other hand, i can see this
"timeout" with SXCR (b27a to b30), even if it seems quicker to boot
than with FreeBSD.

> However, I have a datapoint which might give somebody a clue as to
> the problem.  Windows2000 was also doing the link-up/link-down dance
> when I had the ethernet cable accidentally connected to the uplink-only
> port of an old 100Mb hub (yes hub).  Since it's a gigabit interface,
> I'm presuming that the Realtek has the modern auto-uplink feature
> which tries to figure out if a cable "crossover" is needed.  Perhaps
> the FreeBSD driver for the Realtek sets some bad default for the phy ???

>> I don't really know if there is a PCI or PCMCIA version of this adapter,
>> sorry.

> Since Realtek ethernet controllers are "popular" (with manufacturers)
> because of their low cost, I'd expect many cheap gigabit PCI cards to
> use them.  Unfortunately I can't give you a specific brand (and often
> the cheap cards seem to have no discernible name on them anyway :(  ).

Just for information, Lasse Østerild has test a cheap Gigabit Ethernet
based on a RealTek 8169S-32 chipset (PCI version[*]), using the same
SUNWrge driver as i did for this kind of adapter and seems not encounter
the problem, at least he didn't mentionned it...

--
-jpeg.
[*] http://www.ovislink.com.tw/ge2032r.htm