Named could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied

Oleg Tarasov subscriber at osk.com.ua
Thu Jan 26 07:01:54 PST 2006

Hello,

I run FreeBSD 6.0 and I have begun to recieve quite periodic error messages like these:

Jan 25 19:45:50 central named[728]: could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jan 25 19:45:50 central named[728]: creating IPv4 interface ng0 failed; interface ignored

ng0 is my main internet interface and is created on early boot
(rcordered like ppp-user) by mpd. Certainly, I need DNS listening on
this interface.

The reason is that if mpd is restarted for some reason, interface ng0
is destroyed and created again while listener on this interface is
destroyed too. Named is chrooted at this time and cannot re-bind
listener on this interface. Only manual restart of named helps it bind
to this interface.

This is not deadly situation as if I manually restart mpd I will be
able to restart named too...

Running named under root user or out of chroot environment is not
quite acceptable way...

Please tell me if this problem has a solution other then above

--
Best regards,
 Oleg Tarasov                          mailto:subscriber at osk.com.ua