mpd 3.18 and FreeBSD 6.0

jhall at vandaliamo.net jhall at vandaliamo.net
Thu Jan 19 07:54:07 PST 2006

Recently, I tried to upgrade my firewall from FreeBSD 4.8 to 6.0 and from
mpd 3.17 to mpd 3.18.

Initially, everything works.  However, after a few hours (4 to 5) users
start complaining about slow connection speeds, and eventually they are
not able to connect to the Exchange server, or network drives shared over
the WAN at all.  If I put the FreeBSD 4.8 server and mpd 3.17 back on
line, everything will start working properly almost immediately.  To me,
it sounds like a memory leak, or the operating system is running out of
stack space.

My network is configured in a star configuration.  5 offices connect to
the corporate network using an mpd to mpd configuration.  The corporate
office has a dedicated T-1 and the other offices all have DSL connections.

Nothing out of the ordinary is showing up in the mpd logs.  And, nothing
out of the ordinary is showing up in the syslog.

In my mpd.conf file, I have 34 pptp connections defined, and at most 10
are in use at one time.  The server is a Celeron processor with 128 MB of
RAM.  And, during peak usage times, I am showing approximately 1% usage on
the processor.

If needed, I would be happy to post my configuration files and log files.
I have checked the log files around the times users report problems, and
do not see anything out of the ordinary (no dropped connections, new
connections, missed replies, etc).  And, checking the T-1 usage at the
time, approximately 500K of a full T-1 was in use.

Thanks in advance.

Jay