em driver + VLAN's

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Wed Jan 18 12:04:29 PST 2006

Dave Raven writes:
| FreeBSD 4.9 - char em_driver_version[] = "1.7.16";
|
| I've tried multiple bridge configurations - from bridging just em0,em1 to
| bridging two vlan's attached to each card. Unfortunately I don't have access
| to the box at the moment - if its still necessary I will fetch the
| information tomorrow (ifconfig etc)
|
| To sum up its something like the following
| 	net.inet.ether.bridge_config=em0,em1
| 	net.inet.ether.bridge=1
|
| Or vlan0,vlan1 with:
| 	ifconfig vlan0 create
| 	ifconfig vlan1 create
| 	ifconfig vlan0 vlan 100 vlandev em0
| 	ifconfig vlan1 vlan 100 vlandev em1
|

| If I change to using fxp it immediately works..

I think you will find you are bridging in promiscous mode and the
HW VLAN stuff isn't there.  You should try to bridge the vlan devices
or disable the VLAN HW (driver hack).  It works with the fxp0 since you
are using SW VLAN so the HW part isn't grabing it.  I've done the driver
hack for some things I needed to do.

Doug A.