ifstated fails to monitor netgraph interface

Oleg Tarasov subscriber at osk.com.ua
Thu Feb 23 04:34:53 PST 2006

Hello,

I am building a failover system. I have two Internet interfaces - one
simple Ethernet connection fxp1 and a PPPoE connection established
using mpd ng0.

I tried to use ifstated to monitor connections. For Ethernet
connection a ping test is run and for PPPoE I wanted to use built-in
test like ng0.link.up but this one always fails. As I can see ifstated
can't for some reason monitor netgraph interface's status.

It would be almost normal to use a ping test in this case, but if
ethernet interface that has a default route is working, ping test for
PPPoE router will not fail as this router will be reachable via
ethernet interface. So the ping test is not appliable here. Anyway
PPPoE has an excellent LCP mechanism to watch connectivity and it
would be great to use it in this case.

Please suggest me what can I use to solve this problem. Maybe there is
another ifstated-like daemon with maybe more advanced test capability
I can use in my situation as I have not found any acceptable.

--
Best regards,
 Oleg Tarasov                          mailto:subscriber at osk.com.ua