Which motherboards work well with em(4)?

Chris Howells howells at kde.org
Mon Feb 20 11:38:06 PST 2006

Hi Jack,

On Mon, February 20, 2006 7:04 pm, Jack Vogel wrote:
> I can't really help you with the AMD motherboard, dont get much chance to
> work with them at Intel :)

Lol. I did wonder if the Intel NICs might be programmed to do this in
protest at being in a board with a Via chipset and AMD CPU ;)

Going down the Intel-everything route is something I considered but
unfortunately I can't afford a Pentium D and I'm hesitant at using a
Pentium 4 without powersaving in servers on 24x7.

> However, I wondered exactly what NIC you have?

OK, one of the machines (the one running 6.0-REL) has a:

em0 at pci0:19:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x10028086 chip=0x10268086 rev=0x04
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

(64 bit PCI card running in a 32 bit slot)

The other (the one running 6.1 pre) has a:

em0 at pci0:13:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x002e8086 chip=0x100e8086 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

> And have you tried taking the tip of tree driver, Scott and others have
> been
> hard at work tweaking it. I can't swear that we are 100% yet, but you
> should give that a try before a whole motherboard swap :)

You are talking about the 7.0 current driver I assume? That sounds like a
good idea especially if it's had lots of improvements. I'll give that a go
in a day or two hopefully.

It also occurred to me that I haven't experimented with polling, so I'm
doing that now on one of the machines.

Thanks.

Cheers, Chris Howells -- howells at kde.org
Web: http://www.kde.org.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C