Changing time causes ipv6 panics

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Feb 11 22:58:30 PST 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:31:23PM +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / ?$B?@L at C#:H wrote:

> >> Hmm, but this time the point where the panic happened should be
> >> different.  Can you identify where it was?
>
> > I reduced the hw.physmem size and was able to get a dump:
>
> > (kgdb) frame 10
>
> > #10 0xffffffff80333a86 in nd6_timer (ignored_arg=0xffffffff8059ab60) at ../../../netinet6/nd6.c:585
> > 585                             ia6->ia6_flags |= IN6_IFF_DEPRECATED;
>
> Are you sure you applied the patch?  In the 'patched' version of
> nd6.c, line 585 is blank, so at least it doesn't match the above
> backtrace.

Sorry, you're right - what was happening was that I'd apply the patch,
then go to build the kernel and realise the time was still wrong, then
run ntpdate and it would panic again, and because of soft updates the
patch hadn't been synced yet and it would be gone when I rebooted
again.

In fact I cannot seem to reproduce the panic with the patch
successfully applied.  Next I'll test David's patch.

Kris