incomplete+permanent arp entries

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Thu Feb 9 08:26:07 PST 2006

Vitaliy Ovsyannikov wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-net.
>
>   I've noticed what it is possible to make incomplete+permanent
> entries in kernel arp table.
>
> xx# arp -s 1.2.3.4 pub
> arp: invalid Ethernet address 'pub'
>
> # arp 1.2.3.4
> 1.2.3.4 (1.2.3.4) at (incomplete) on vlan1 permanent [vlan]
>
> In result of it's permanent entry, kernel doesn't listening for
> arp-replies for this host.
>
> My question is simple: is it bug or feature?

I think i understand why you ask though, the answer could easily go both
ways.

But my conclussion was that, to me, the man page and the error message
indicates it is a bug. By that i mean that arp reports the ethernet
address to be invalid but it still performs the task as if the ethernet
address was valid and no synopsis written for this case. I'd go with bug
and say that the same application can be done with 'route -blackhole
-host 1.2.3.4 127.0.0.1' or something similar.

If it turns out to be the right thing to do then perhaps you would be so
kind as to sendbug(1) it?

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal