Polling for ath driver

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Feb 5 10:09:35 PST 2006

Nate Nielsen wrote:
> I've been working on polling for the FreeBSD ath wireless driver.
>
> On slow CPU's polling helps prevent (by supressing certain interrupts)
> livelock and increases throughput. This is true of Atheros cards on
> Soekris and other embedded hardware.
>
> Just thought I'd post something here in case anyone is interested in
> helping with insight, code or testing. I've got a rough (and mostly
> working) patch. There are some locking issues to contend with...

You might try explaining why you think polling helps your performance.
Unless you've significantly restructured the interrupt handling in the
driver most work is deferred to a non-interrupt context.  Also the
driver in 6.0 and later does tx interrupt mitigation and rx interrupt
coalescing so I wouldn't expect interrupt handling to be a performance
limitation.  There are other issues that can affect performance but you
haven't mentioned them...

	Sam