if_bridge.ko requires INET6...

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Feb 1 01:36:19 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:04:21PM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:56:58AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> L> just noticed that if_bridge.ko fails to load if your kernel
> L> is not compiled with INET6 - the failure is actually only
> L> on symbols related to stats gathering in
> L> bridge_ip6_checkbasic()
> L>
> L> I wonder if it might be worthwhile just ignoring
> L> those stats when compiling if_bridge as a module,
> L> so it can be loaded on ipv4 only kernels ?
>
> If you have compiled the modules as part of buildkernel
> target, then all options from kernel would apply to all
> modules, thus the bridge_ip6_checkbasic() function won't
> be present in if_bridge.ko, and you would successfully
> load the module.

i _did_ compile the modules with make buildkernel
and this how i got the failure. This was on a
relatively fresh 6.0-STABLE tree.
Perhaps it has been fixed in -current but not in -stable ?

> P.S. This is not if_bridge neither INET6 problem. This is
> generic problem with modules built outside of buildkernel
> target.

see above. I am glad there is a fix designed to address
this problem, now it's just a matter of figuring out
why the fix doesn't work :)

cheers
luigi