wpi (Intel 3945) driver

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Sun Dec 31 12:23:11 PST 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Steve Clement wrote:

> It throws quite a lot of 702 errors at me, especially when there is heavy
> traffic load!

Yes, I need to look into these at some point.

> Also I am currently in Berlin at the CCC (events.ccc.de) and the WiFi traffic
> is quite heavy and I don't get a packet out to the world (I can sniff the
> traffic) but obtaining a dhcp-lease or any other active communication is
> impossible.

But it works for you when traffic is less busy?

> also when I try to unload the driver it wouldn't unload.

Does it give any error messages on the console when it fails to unload?

> So I did repeatedly:
>
> kldunload if_wpi
> kldunload if_wpi
> kldunload if_wpi
> kldunload if_wpi
> kldunload if_wpi
>
> and by the fifth time the kernel crashes with a page fault, now I don't know
> whether that is a Kernel issue or a driver issue, who handles unload
> requests?

Without seeing details of the page fault, it's impossible to say.  It
would be useful if you could compile a kernel, making sure you have the
"standard" -CURRENT debugging options:

options         KDB
options         DDB
options         GDB
options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         WITNESS
options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN

up the value of wpi_debug on line 79 of if_wpi.c to 3 and recompile the
wpi modules as well.  I'd need to see anything logged to the console, as
well as the output of "tr" when the machine panics and drops to the
debugger (digital photos are fine).

Gavin