Automatic TCP send and receive socket buffer sizing

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Wed Dec 20 01:33:27 PST 2006

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your work, it looks very exciting !

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 01:26:03PM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> The
> automatic send buffer is not perfect either and has some cases where
> it may allocate too much resources of the host to a particular connection.
> OTOH it does much better than the small fixed sized buffer we had before.

This makes me think it makes easier the way to a DoS.  A malicious user
with a big pipe may open several TCP connections and then manage
each send buffer to reach the maximum size (which is eight time bigger
the classical one by default).  This would mean it is eight time
easier to exhaust kernel memory.  In this case, how one could prevent
his box from being a potential victim of this ?

Thank you.
Best regards
--
Jeremie Le Hen