FreeBSD NFS Client, Windows 2003 NFS server

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 8 01:06:01 PST 2006

In message: <20061208091822.M17220 at knop-beagle.kn.op.dlr.de>
            Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt at dlr.de> writes:
: On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Harti Brandt wrote:
:
: HB>On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: HB>
: HB>MWL>In message: <20061207090026.I17220 at knop-beagle.kn.op.dlr.de>
: HB>MWL>            Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt at dlr.de> writes:
: HB>MWL>: MWL>Does anybody have experience with using FreeBSD 4.x or 6.x NFS clients
: HB>MWL>: MWL>against a Windows 2003 NFS server?  What is the performance relative
: HB>MWL>: MWL>to using a FreeBSD NFS server?  What is the stability?  Does locking
: HB>MWL>: MWL>work?  Does the Windows 2003 server have extensions that grok file
: HB>MWL>: MWL>system flags?
: HB>MWL>:
: HB>MWL>: I use this regularily (well, -CURRENT). I have no numbers, but performance
: HB>MWL>: is ok. I have the home directories on a W2003k server and it 'feels' fast
: HB>MWL>: enough.
: HB>MWL>
: HB>MWL>We see FreeBSD to FreeBSD NFS feeling fast enough for most things, but
: HB>MWL>when we do a full build of our system from scratch it takes 10 hours
: HB>MWL>over NFS vs 1 hour on a local disk.  We're worried that if we were to
: HB>MWL>try to do heavy NFS traffic to a Win2003 server with SFU this would be
: HB>MWL>even slower.
: HB>
: HB>Ok. I did a very short test (no time to do much more). Read performance
: HB>with dd if=/nfs/bigfile of=/dev/null bs=4k is around 9MByte/sec. Write
: HB>performance with dd if=/dev/zero of=/nfs/bigfile bs=4k is 4MByte/sec.
: HB>
: HB>Client is something around 1GHz with a 100Mbps link. Fileserver is a
: HB>double proc Xeon with a 1Gbps link. The Server has a load of around 30%
: HB>(from the antivirus scanner).
: HB>
: HB>72Mbps on a 100Mbps link looks actually ok for me. I've no FreeBSD on a
: HB>Gigabit link to test with.
: HB>
: HB>If you want I could try to do a buildworld.
:
: Ok. To answer my own mail. A buildworld with a local /usr/src takes 2:50h
: on that machine, with /usr/src on the W2003 server 3:50h. Looks not that bad.

So we're talking 33% slower here rather than 90% slower that I see for
my entire product build.  So the speed is similar to what I've seen
over NFS here...

Warner