Bandwidth Monitoring program

Paul Koch paul.koch at statseeker.com
Thu Dec 7 19:17:01 PST 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 02:48, Benjamin Adams wrote:
> I'm on a network that has a normal store firewall, setup as a NAT.
> I'm trying to find a way to monitor all bandwidth by clients through
> that firewall.  I don't have the ability to just put an inline box to
> examine packets.  Is there a program where I can see whats going on
> from the computer on that network.
>
> What I'm looking for is:
> client ip : 2.3 GB
> List of ports used in bandwidth amounts.
>

> Thanks for any help,
> Ben Adams

If the firewall device supports netflow, you could use one of the
netflow collector/reporter ports.  Otherwise you'll have to setup a
mirror port on a switch, direct all the packets to another machine and
use a program that captures/counts the packets on the wire and does the
necessary stats.

Fyi, for real-time address/protocol LAN statistics, we submitted a port
a few months ago in net/ltm.  You can add your own protocol types, but
you'll need to read the supplied manual entries first :)

	Paul.