FreeBSD NFS Client, Windows 2003 NFS server

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Dec 7 06:29:13 PST 2006

In message: <20061207090026.I17220 at knop-beagle.kn.op.dlr.de>
            Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt at dlr.de> writes:
:
: Hi Warner,
:
: On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: MWL>Does anybody have experience with using FreeBSD 4.x or 6.x NFS clients
: MWL>against a Windows 2003 NFS server?  What is the performance relative
: MWL>to using a FreeBSD NFS server?  What is the stability?  Does locking
: MWL>work?  Does the Windows 2003 server have extensions that grok file
: MWL>system flags?
:
: I use this regularily (well, -CURRENT). I have no numbers, but performance
: is ok. I have the home directories on a W2003k server and it 'feels' fast
: enough.
:
: The only problem I see is a lot of 'file server not reponding' and 'file
: server up again' (with 2-3 seconds in between). This is usually when
: saving a large mail from pine. Linux clients see the same problem, so I
: suppose it is a problem on the SFU side. Locking seems to work. Problems
: are with filenames that are illegal for NTFS - hosting a 2.11BSD source
: tree on a W2003 NFS share does not work because of filenames containing
: ':' :-). I've not tested what other characters are illegal.

This is excellent information.  So building a ports tree would be,
ummm, problematic.

: Another problem is that on the NTFS side there is no good way to backup,
: copy, whatever the trees, because while NTFS handles Makefile and
: makefile, no Windows tool can access both of them. Even worse thinks like
: ADSM backup sometimes die with internal errors.

That's good information.

: Mapping of UIDs and GIDs is rather magic. The FreeBSD side, the SFU tools
: and cygwin all see different numbers which is rather annoying. The same is
: with symbolic links.

Also good information.

: The file flags are not supported by the server. There are no extensions
: that I know of.

This is the one I knew about!  The others are far more important :-)

Warner