Urel, a TCP option for Unreliable Streaming. Need your help.

maillist ifiaas maillist.ifiaas at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 04:53:51 PST 2006

Thanks Randall.

Am I right to say that, in SCTP, the loss information is reported to
the sender, instead of the receiver?

Btw, TCP Urel is a option. To use it, you have to add something like,
int rc = setsockopt( inSettings->mSock, IPPROTO_TCP,TCP_URE, (char*)
&val, len );
to enable Urel option in TCP.

I still think that partial reliability should be performed in the
application layer. Although transport layer knows more about the
channel condition, but they can either be reported to the application
(like we did on segment loss in TCP Urel),  or be infered by
application (e.g. estimating the current bitrate by looking at the
buffersize). As QoS is only meaningful to application, allowing
flexibilty of implementing QoS (such as partial relaibility) mechenism
in application layer rather than transport layer, looks much natrual to me.

-gavin