poor fastforwarding and polling performance

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sat Dec 2 19:09:06 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm playing with the settings for some PC Engines WRAP cards[1] (sis
interfaces) that acts as mini routers on relatively slow networks.

I am testing with iperf from two Linux boxes (that are plugged
directly into an interface each on the FreeBSD box).

The IP addresses used for the routing are managed by CARP, does that
make a difference?

Without polling or fastforwarding I get ~25-40Mbit throughput
(~25Mbit with pf, ~40Mbit with pf disabled).  (During this the box is
completely unresponsive on the console).

With fastforwarding I get ~7-15Mbit (!)

With polling (ifconfig sis0 polling; ifconfig sis1 polling) I get
about 1.5-2Mbit (pf doesn't make a difference).

If I enable both fastforwarding and polling I seem to get slightly
better results, but still Not Good.  The only upside is that with
polling enabled the box stays responsive, but it not much help.  :-)

Any ideas?

  - ask

[1] http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm