Load balancing for web servers

Philippe LAQUET stom at free.fr
Wed Aug 30 19:05:05 UTC 2006

"The master of the address sends out CARP advertisement messages via
multicast using the CARP protocol (IP Protocol 112) on a regular basis,
and the backup hosts listen for this advertisement. If the
advertisements stop, the backup hosts will begin advertising."

I'm afraid CARP will not be routed on some WAN architectures... Because
of the IP Protocol #112 that may not be routed by your ISP and the
Internet segment you're on, and it uses multicast...