possible patch for implementing split DNS

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Aug 28 21:40:17 UTC 2006

John-Mark Gurney wrote:

>Julian Elischer wrote this message on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:33 -0700:
>

>>ALmost all other services (e.g. inetd,natd,sshd, etc.etc.) allow you to
>>specify a different config file
>>so that you can supply different services to theinside and outside but
>>it all falls appart
>>if they still are forced to use the same DNS server and can not provide
>>a differentiated service
>>for that reason.
>>

>Why not put one of the two in side a jail (I think someone else mentioned
>this), or chroot'd environment where it can pick up a different resolv.conf?

The very mail you quoted says that I can not put it inside a jail.
 a chroot is slightly less problematical except that they do need to
share filesystems.
To make it fully work I need to have /etc nearly all shared along with a
lot more but I need
to have different /etc/resolv.conf

so, Why NOT make this tunable from the environment? it does not do it
for SUID processes
and there are already environment varables that influence name lookup.