Strange internet connection...

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Mon Aug 28 15:10:34 UTC 2006

Wise men talk because they have something to say, however
on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 12:55 , felix.schalck just had
to say something so we heard:

> Hi,

> I'm currently running 6.1-STABLE on a little laptop (CLEVO
> M120 W) connected via an ISP-router to the Internet. Since a
> few weeks, I m experiencing very strange Netwok behaviour: the
> adsl connection seems to "hang up" from time to time, getting a
> "host not found"; a few minutes (~10-15) later, it works again,
> without having changed anything...

I've seen that recently here in Central Florida.  When lightning
strikes anywhere in about 10 miles the ADSL device can lose sync,
so I see it trying to train to regain a connection.  Sometimes a
power-off will fix it, but other times I just have to wait it out.

Who is the transport - not the ISP.  Here the company who handles
all the network address and connections is Earthlink but the
transport it handled by Embarq - the company formerly known as
Sprint.

> I tried different browsers, different ifconfigs, routing options
> and DNS configs. On both interfaces (iwi & rl) , I got the same
> symptoms. I'm wondering wether it is the ISP or a wrong config.

> What can I do to find it out ?

It really sounds like a connection problem and not any of the
software things you mentioned above.

A typieal DSL device will have lights on them.  WHen it is reset
the typical device will show a red light for DSL, then go to a slow
green blink as it starts up, then go to a faster blink, and then
when it is steady you have a working DSL connection.

This really should probably go to freebsd-questions as from my POV
it's not a 'net' problem.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com