Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Aug 24 20:09:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:00:08PM +0200, Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
> >
> >The right way to deal with this is almost certainly to adopt the KAME
> >%interface decoration for link local addresses.  LLAs are meaningless
> >outside the context of an interface.  Unless you only have one interface
> >with an LLA, you must know which interface you are addressing to know
> >where to send the packet.  While you can hack around this in some cases
> >by trying all of them and hoping there aren't any collisions, I think
> >that's the wrong way to go.
> >

> I don't know how familiar you are with the IPv6 code, but are you (or
> somebody else) able to estimate in a short summary what would be
> required to adopt the %interface decoration for IPv4?
> If it turns out to be a very large task, will it still be worth it?

I don't know the details so it's something that would have to be
investigated.  My feeling is that if we want to deal with multiple
interfaces with LLAs we're going to need to do some not-insignificant
kernel and libc work to support them.  It not clear to me how much
overall work that will be and how worthwhile it is.

-- Brooks