Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Fredrik Lindberg fli+freebsd-net at shapeshifter.se
Thu Aug 24 18:40:12 UTC 2006

Pat Lashley wrote:

> I think that I'd reverse the default on that. There should normally be
> no harm in having an LLA address, as long as we've got the non-LLA
> preference stuff working correctly. It is quite likely that the LLA
> address would never actually be used; but so what?

I've been thinking about that too, but I'm still not sure. The RFC
says that you shouldn't add a LLA address to an interface that
already is configured with a routeable address.

Configuring LLA via rc.conf should probably be done like DHCP, by
using a magic word in the ifconfig_ifX-line.
We could have two words, one called LLA that would run in the "forced"
mode and another LLA2 (I can't come up a good name) which would run
in the RFC compliant way.

Fredrik Lindberg