Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Aug 24 15:12:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 04:55:12PM +0200, Fredrik Lindberg wrote:
> Pat Lashley wrote:
> >>I treat LLA and mDNS as separate things. They can be used individually
> >>or together. I see LLA as a way of configuring an IP-address while
> >>mDNS is a way of resolving DNS-like hostnames.
> >
> >Don't forget service discovery. That's an important part of zeroconf,
> >implemented via mDNS.
>
> I'm not. But LLA can run without mDNS and mDNS can run without LLA, but
> SD requires mDNS.
>

> >>Howevery, your statement above brings up a question, do you assume
> >>that a system configured with lla should be able to communicate
> >>with a system configured via dhcp?
> >
> >Yes, of course. The question is basically the same as whether hosts on
> >the same link but different IP (sub)net ranges should be able to
> >communicate with each other. The answer is that either both hosts must
> >implement ARP/RARP functionality, or that there be at least one
> >additional host with addresses in both ranges that is willing to act as
> >a router.
>
> Of course it's possible with a router, but what I was after, was the
> situation when a host is configured with LLA but without a default route
> , should such host be able to communicate with other hosts on the
> same link that has addresses configured in other ranges (obtained by
> other utilities, dhcp, static etc).

Yes, but in general if and only if it has an address in those ranges.
While it tends to be confusing and can lead to brokenness, there's
nothing wrong with configuring addresses for multiple subnets on the
same interface.  The one exception is a configuration where you have
an interface route and make ARP requests for all addresses rather than
explicitly specifing a specific default router, but that's probably not
the right default configuration (useful though it could be).  To really
make that work well I thing we need the ability to handle multiple
default routes and assign them priorities.

-- Brooks