Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Aug 24 06:38:32 UTC 2006

I've been watching this thread with great interest, having recently been
introduced to the possibilities of OLSR (net/olsrd) for local (and
beyond) P2P wi-mesh networks, and wondering if/how zeroconf fits in.

Some refs: My discovery point, a great (online) book found from a review
by Geoff Huston in the Internet Protocol Journal Vol 9 No 2, p44:

 Wireless Networking in the Developing World: http://wndw.net/
 OLSR.ORG: http://www.olsr.org/
 RFC: http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3626.txt (basis, though olsrd extends this)

Host addresses in such a MANET appear to require manual allocation so
far, usually in RFC1918 ranges, but the notion of zeroconfig-joining
such a network seems perhaps worthy of exploration?

Am I way off base here, thinking some matchmaking might be useful?

Cheers, Ian

[..]