Zeroconfig and Multicast DNS

Fredrik Lindberg fli+freebsd-net at shapeshifter.se
Wed Aug 23 17:30:41 UTC 2006

Pat Lashley wrote:

> As I investigate further, it appears that avahi is the most mature,
> feature-rich, and widely supported and adopted mDNS implementation.  The
> only potential drawback would be the GPL.
>
> I've also discovered that Apple are moving the iCal server, Bonjour, and
> launchd to the Apache 2.0 license; which should be acceptable to those
> who don't like the GPL.  And apparently the Bonjour client libraries are
> already BSD licensed.

The thing is that I would like to see mDNS in base (and the other
zeroconfig utilities). Avahi might be the most mature at the moment, but
as it is GPL it's not an option when there are other responders
available. mDNSResponder-108 appears to still be under APSL 2, I don't
know if that license is acceptable for base utilities, if it is, it
might be a viable alternative.

However that doesn't have a chance of happening unless a committer finds
it interesting.

> Overall, I think your work on the IPv4 Link Local Addressing is much
> more important and useful (and more likely to be adopted) than another
> mDNS implementation.  The LLA is the one piece that is currently missing
> for FreeBSD.

Well, my LLA implementation (I renamed it to llacd, link local address
configuration daemon) is already quite mature. It has been running on
a machine here for over a month without problems.

Fredrik Lindberg