dhclient and multiple addresses on single interface

Xander fbsd at synoptic.org
Tue Aug 22 19:33:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 09:56:13PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:

> Not easily.  If you could create some virtual ethernet interfaces,
> bridge them to the real one and run dhclient on them I think that would
> work, but I can't think of a suitable virtual interface at the moment.

I've actually played with this a little and got some enouraging
results by using netgraph to create a number of virtual ethernet
interfaces all linked to a netgraph bridge node linked to a physical
interface.

However, I ultimately ran into an issue where the global ARP table
was making it difficult to actually *use* any of the other virtual
interfaces.  (when you resolve an ARP address on the local subnet,
you remember what interface you resolved in on and tend to prefer
that interface for all communications whether you want to or not).

I didn't rule out the possibility that some serious firewall
hackery/NATing could get around this problem.  YMMV but netgraph
is probably a good avenue to explore next if you haven't done so
already.

Oh, also I seem to remember thinking that a recent commit to the
6.1-STABLE codebase might have helped the arp difficulty I was
experiencing, so it may all work better now than I did when I was
playing with it.

-x