Multicast

Xander fbsd at synoptic.org
Tue Aug 22 19:16:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 04:54:01PM +0000, Baldur Gislason wrote:

> I'm having some problems receiving multicast traffic on my FreeBSD
> 6.1-STABLE workstation with VLC. I get the streams but I seem to get
> plenty of packetloss on the freebsd box but on other boxes on the same
> network I don't see such problems. I haven't noticed any packetloss
> with unicast. Any thoughts? I've tried running a GENERIC kernel and
> that makes no difference, I've also tried two different network cards.
> (em and fxp)

I'm afraid that I only have time for a short reply at the moment,
but are you using pf?  I believe I may have run into an issue where
pf doesn't handle tunneled multicast routing (mrouted tunnel) very
well.  The issue appears to have something to do with pf not
understanding on what interface the unencapsulated multicast packet
arrived on (since it's re-injected into the stack by mrouted).
(This was seen on 6.1-RELEASE-p3 and 6.1-STABLE as of a week ago)

At any rate, if you are using pf you might try disabling it and seeing
if that helps your problem.

cheers
-x