Problem with IBM NetXtreme 1000-T GigaEthernet Adapter

David Christensen davidch at broadcom.com
Fri Aug 18 21:15:08 UTC 2006

> Dear list,
> I'm running the latest FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 on the
> following piece of
> hardware:-
> IBM xSeries 336
> - 1 add-on PCI dual-port NIC (IBM Netxtreme Dualpt Ethernet adapter)
> matching the Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet chipset (detected
> as bge0 and bge1)
> - 2 internal built-in NICs matching the Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit
> Ethernet chipset. (detected as bge2 and bge3)
>
> The internal NICs work fine (bge2 and bge3), however the
> add-on PCI NIC
> has the following issues:-
> On a GB Ethernet switchport (I am using Cisco Catalyst C3750G):-
> - When set to auto-detect, or forced 1000baseTX on both sides
> (switchport and server), the LED on both switchport and NIC dies the
> moment FreeBSD OS is booting (i.e. when FreeBSD bge driver activated).
> Previously, it was working fine at BIOS level.
> - The only working setup is forced 100baseTX full-duplex on both sides
> (switchport and server), however with intermittent link (ping yields
> packet loss every 2-3 out of 10 packets or so).
>
> I tried to use a FE version of the switch (Cisco Catalyst
> C3750), and a
> single-port version of the said NIC, with the same results
> (auto detect
> fails, and can only live with intermittent forced 100baseTX
> full-duplex).

There isn't a single port version of the 5704, it must be a different
controller (maybe the 5703?).  Which one is it exactly?  Do either the
LOM devices or the add-in boards support remote management (such as
Serial-over-LAN or IPMI)?  If so does disabling the feature change the
problem?

> Any pointers would be appreciated -- thanks. :)

If you could attach a dump of dmesg that shows the messages from the
driver that might help too.