Routing IPSEC packets?

Yu-Shun Wang yushunwa at ISI.EDU
Fri Aug 18 16:58:27 UTC 2006

Remko Lodder wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I was looking around for using IPsec services instead of
> OpenVPN services, but I found out that with our current
> implementation of IPsec, we cannot actually route packets
> through the various IPsec hops [1].  OpenBSD adds IPsec
> flows in their routing table, making it possible to route
> traffic between IPsec tunnels.
>
> Can someone either confirm my above statement that FreeBSD
> is indeed not capable of doing this?

It's not an implementation issue, but a design problem with
IPsec tunnel mode. See RFC3884:

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3884.txt>

The proposed solution is to use IP-IP tunnel (gif iface in
FreeBSD, which you can route) then apply IPsec transport mode
on the outer header. Refer to the rfc for more detail.

The policy will be different, but we've verified long ago
with FreeBSD that it works. The packets on the wire is
compatible with regular tunnel mode IPsec.

yushun