Redundant/failover NFS servers - stale NFS file handle

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Aug 18 12:43:58 UTC 2006

While humming that old rock song Yackety Yacc - Dont Awk Back
Oliver Fromme on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 11:14 sang or SED something
like this:

> Attila Nagy wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > We use NetApp Filer clusters (NAS) for that purpose.
>  > > They aren't cheap, but they work very well.
>  >
>  > I don't like blackboxes with nice GUIs. :)
>
> But they do exactly what you need.  I doubt that you can
> build the same functionality with Linux.  BTW, I never use
> the GUI.  I just log into them with ssh; works perfectly
> fine.  It's only seldomly required anyway, once the boxes
> are set up and running.

> BTW, as far as I know, they run a BSD-derived embedded OS
> (with micro kernel?), so there's at least a little bit of
> BSD in that "blackbox".  ;-)
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

And one nice box is from GTA - Global Technology Associates.
They are here in Orlando and I've watched them grow from nothing to
being highly respected.  They were the first NCSA certified
firewall in software, and they are BSD derived.

The GUI interface is more like a curses interface - the last time I
saw one - so you can easily manipulate them in text mode remotely.

As above, they aren't cheap but they work well.   I had a pair
that a customer from a long way away with a matched on in our colo
used to update their servers remotely and securlty.   It was a
3-step process of machines, with a Sun Netra at the first entry
point, going to Mac G4's for the Web Objects for the the web apps,
connected to a mutli-CPU Solaris machine for the Oracale database.

The nice thing about their boxes, that some don't have is
three NICs so you can have a DMZ in the middle and the private
network is fully protected.

I have no financial interest in them, but I have know Paul for
ages.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com