Redundant/failover NFS servers - stale NFS file handle

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Aug 15 18:21:01 UTC 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 5:30 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Brian Candler (B.Candler) writes:
>> So to make an update, you would have to unmount from box 2,
>> remount RW on
>> box 1, make the change, remount RO on box 1, and mount RO again on
>> box 2.
>
> 	To make it short: if you want a reliable NFS head, you need NetApp.
> 	If you want to make failover, you'll need something like WAFL that
> 	has virtual inodes and allows for concurrent access from multiple
> 	writers.  This is more of a freebsd-fs discussion.

I think Solaris also makes a reliable NFS platform, and it even
supports failover and replication for read-only mounts.  For read/
write replicated filesystems, you're probably looking at AFS (Andrew
File System, but an opensource version is at www.openafs.org from
IBM, who apparently bought out Transarc) or maybe Coda.

--
-Chuck