Plans to port OpenBSD trunk(4)?

lukem.freebsd at cse.unsw.edu.au lukem.freebsd at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 4 02:01:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Antony Mawer wrote:
> Is there any interest or plans underway to port the trunk(4) feature from
> OpenBSD? OpenBSD's trunk(4) appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, but
> there doesn't appear to be anything I can find on a port to FreeBSD.
>
>    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=trunk&sektion=4
>
> I've been tasked with setting up a system that will have 2x Intel Pro/1000
> network adapters linked to an HP ProCurve 5300XL modular switch.
>
> I stumbled across ng_fec(4), but it refers explicitly to Cisco Fast
> EtherChannel; some information suggests that this is supported by the HP
> switch... would using Netgraph with ng_fec achieve the same end result? Has
> anyone successfully used it as such?

You HP switch will probably support FEC trunking (the ones I have do), so
using the ng_fec netgraph module is probably what you want to do. In fact,
even if your switch uses something other than the FEC scheduler to
distribute incoming packets, ng_fec will still work to distribute outgoing
packets.

Here is the config I use (on a 5.x system)...

#!/bin/sh
ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em0"'
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em1"'
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em2"'
ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"em3"'
ifconfig fec0 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
#this next line should be implied by the previous, but...
ifconfig fec0 up

--
Luke