VLAN interfaces and routing

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Apr 27 14:34:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:55:11PM +0100, William wrote:
> The switch is a Cisco 3550, trunking is setup on the port and I've
> allowed the VLANS I'm interested in using.
>
> The end result is being able to communicate with all devices on said
> VLANS which is fantastic but my next objective is to have the box talk
> to other networks via a default route, I've tried applying the default
> route by defaultrouter= in rc.conf, also manually adding it using
> route once the box has booted up but it always results in no replys
> back from other networks, even netstat -r seems to hang.

The hang is probably just because your DNS server is unreachable. Use
"netstat -rn" instead, or just rm /etc/resolv.conf. (It annoys me that
traceroute and some versions of ping and telnet default to trying DNS
lookups, when if there's a network problem the DNS server is probably not
available)

Manually adding the route ought to be fine. Can you ping your default
gateway? Does 'ifconfig -a' show the correct settings? The default gateway
must be on a directly-connected network of course, i.e. within the range of
one of the subnets shown by 'ifconfig -a'. When you ping the default
gateway, does the ARP cache get updated? (arp -an)

HTH,

Brian.